A small change of plans...

In my last post, which I realize was ages ago (oops!), I listed some of my goals for this year. Top among them was going to work in an international school in Europe. But for several reasons, I have decided to push that back a couple years and visit some other places first. So I'm happy to announce that I've accepted a new teaching position in Santiago, the capital city of Chile, and will be moving there at the end of June!

Santiago, my new home for the next year! Photo found here
I'm really excited about going to Chile. Latin America has been high up on my travel list for awhile, especially after my good friend Teal visited it and made me jealous with all her awesome travel photos. You can check out her photos and stories at her blog.

My main reasons for choosing to move to Chile were to pick up a new language and to see a new part of the world. I feel like learning Spanish and experiencing a new, completely different culture will help to make me more well-rounded as an individual and a better candidate for a teaching position with an international school. Also, I love hiking and outdoor sports, and Chile has got some absolutely stunning mountains- not to mention deserts, beaches and glaciers. I can't wait to go on some more backpacking adventures down there!

Try googling "Chile Nature", if that doesn't convince you to visit, nothing will! Photo found here
I've been back in the U.S. for a month now and I've got two more months to go before I leave. It will be hard to say goodbye to my family again when I feel like I've only just been reunited with them, but I am grateful for the three months that I'll get to spend with them now. Next week we are leaving Texas to spend a week in New Orleans, a city I have wanted to visit for a long time. I'll be sure to get lots of good photos and do a blog post when I get back!

Comments

Popular Posts